Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Bold. New flavors. Italian Style Herb Turkey. Cajun Style Turkey Breast. Chipotle Seasoned Chicken Breast. Maple Honey Ham. Inspiration. I recently had the chance to try one of the new flavors in the Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Bold line of lunch meats – Italian Style Herb Turkey Breast. This line of lunch meat really ramps ups the flavor with bold spices. Plus, I love the fact that none of the flavor choices contain artificial preservatives or artificial flavors and they are gluten free. No need to stand in that long deli line at the grocery store on Sunday afternoon anymore! A fabulous box arrived on my doorstep with not only the new Oscar Mayer flavor to sample, but a cutting board, sandwich knife, reusable lunch bags plus a book for fun sandwich ideas, and I was inspired.
But I was not inspired to make one of the really cute animal sandwiches in the book, no, something more “bold”. Time to think outside the box. Ok Italian Style Herb is one of the new turkey breast flavors…and I’m going Italian with my design. Pesto, Mozzarella, turkey. That works. Turkey, black olives and something just a little different….cream cheese! So now I’ve got 2 “ flavor recipes” that sound like winners. After a quick trip to my freezer, the final sandwich was decided. “Blissfully Bold” Puff Pastry sandwiches (2 ways.) The trick with puff pastry is to make sure your fillings are not too heavy and won’t weigh down the dough as it bakes. The “bold” cut is nice and thin and a perfect choice for these absolutely delicious sandwiches. You can make both combination sandwiches at the same time like I did or make an entire sheet of just one.
- One frozen puff pastry
- Oscar Mayer Bold Lunch Meat – I used Italian Style Herb Turkey Breast.
- One Tablespoon of milk
- Pesto (your favorite from the refrigerated section of the grocery)
- ½ cup grated Mozarella Cheese
- ¼ cup sliced black olives (chopped ok too)
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese softened
- First, thaw the pastry at room temperature following package directions.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay out one sheet of pastry .
- Spread the pesto and cream cheese (each on half of the pastry)
- Layer of turkey
- Layer of mozarrella and olives (again over the right spread).
- Cover with the second puff pastry sheet and press down on the edges to seal.
- I made a line with a knife down the center of the “sandwich” so I would be reminded where to cut it after it bakes for the 2 different flavors. Additionally, I used a knife to poke holes in the top just like you might for a pie to let some steam escape (plus it looks pretty).
- Brush the top with milk.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cut into pieces and serve. (be careful of the steam when you cut).
This is a decadent sandwich and your guests will LOVE IT! These sandwiches are best served warm, fresh out of the oven. Cut into smaller pieces to serve as an appetizer or finger sandwich at a party or shower.
Disclosure: This sponsored post was written while participating in my partnership with Oscar Mayer and One2One Network, but as always, all opinions are my own. I received Deli Fresh BOLD coupons and other related items from Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods.