There’s probably not an easier and cuter way to dress up your Easter dessert! They’re also a great way to have your children help in making them by letting them cut out the circles and place the eggs on top. I bet they’ll be excited to try the tasty treats that they helped make.
Of course, you can always use your standard boxed brownie mix to make these chocolate bird’s nest brownies, but in this case, homemade is always better and so much more impressive!
Chocolate Bird’s Nest Brownies
from Brown Eyed Baker
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
- 11 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 45 candy eggs – I used the speckled m&m’s
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9″ x 13″ pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, salt and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- In a medium glass heat proof bowl over a saucepan with simmering water, place the chocolate, butter and espresso powder and stir occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Once the chocolate and butter are completely melted, turn off the heat and add the sugar and brown sugar, whisking until combined. Remove the bowl from the saucepan.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add the remaining 2 eggs, whisking until just combined. Don’t overbeat at this point.
- Stir in the vanilla extract just until combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester stick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before lifting out of the pan with your parchment paper.
- Using a 1 1/2″-2″ round biscuit cutter, cut out as many circles as you can, avoiding the edges. (Eat or discard the leftovers.)
- Drop 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate in the center of the brownies.
- Place three candy eggs on the melted chocolate in the centers of the brownies.
Servings: about 15 nests