Cinco de Mayo is in just a few days! Let’s celebrate!
All throughout my schooling, I took Spanish. Every year all of us kids would look forward to Cinco de Mayo parties. There would be loads of tacos, burritos, virgin margaritas, fried ice cream, and of course, flan!
Never before in my life did I like flan. I tried it once back when I was little and decided I didn’t like it…never trying it again.
I’m so glad, despite my preconceived notion that flan was gross, that I tried this recipe. I love the creamy texture and sweetness!
If you’ve never had it before, or think that you don’t like it like I did, give it a try. It’s a good blend between a cheesecake and pudding. Smooth and delicious!
Plus, it helps that this recipe is a little ‘lighter’ in fat and calories. That means you can have more, right? And for an added bonus, it’s a great ‘make-ahead’ dessert…great for us busy folks!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- 4 1/4 cups water, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can low fat evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil for a water bath.
- In the meantime, bring the 1/4 cup of water and sugar to a boil, whisking constantly over medium heat.
- When the sugar water comes to a boil, stop whisking and put the heat down to medium-low, allowing the mixture to simmer until it turns golden brown.
- Pour into a 9″ pie dish (or 4-6 ramekins) that have been placed in a larger pan (for the water bath).
- Then, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients until combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the pie pan.
- Add enough boiling water around the pie pan until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie pan.
- Bake for about an hour until it is jiggly, but set.
- Remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Chill in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- Run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Place a plate on top of the pie pan, flip, and serve!