The weather outside is frightful, but a hot bowl of comfort food is so delightful and down South, there are few things for comforting than a steaming bowl of Chicken and Dumplings.
Chicken and Dumplings, is one of those recipes that is practically synonymous with southern hospitality, homemade and comfort food.
Warm, fluffy, doughy dumplings topping, hot delicious flavor packed chicken and vegetables.
Chicken and Dumplings made with love can soothe the savage beast and warm up the coldest noses and toes(es).
This delicious recipe is easy to follow and simple to make, but packed with flavor and goodness.
Chicken & Dumplings
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 yams, peeled and diced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups of chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup flour
- Any other vegetables you have handy-peas, green beans, etc.
- 2 2/3 cups (Heart Smart) Bisquick
- 2/3 cup (skim) milk
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot such as a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes turning once. Pour off juices saving for later. Add 1 Tablespoon oil, onion, celery, carrot, yams, potatoes and saute for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth, water, and reserved juices, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Making the Roux
I love to use myTupperware Quick Shake Container for this.
Place 1/2 cup of flour in the cup first and then add 1 cup chicken broth-shake until it is fully blended. Slowly add to pot stirring constantly until thickened.
Making The Dumplings
When the mixture comes to a slow boil, add your dumplings
- Mix the Bisquick & the milk until a soft dough forms and then drop by spoonfuls onto the bubbling chicken ‘stew’.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot with a lid and cook an additional 10 minutes.
What’s your favorite holiday treat? Come visit the Blissfully Domestic Facebook page and let’s talk treats!
image credit: Jordanmit09 via Flickr