My mom goes all out with the food and decorations. It’s always a big party. 😀
With Halloween around the corner, we all need some simple recipes to whip up on the spooky day!
All of these recipes can be made ahead of time, preferably that morning.
You’ll have the rest of your day to get your scary monsters and pretty princesses dressed and ready!
There’s a creepy crawly brownie pie, and a pumpkin chili packed with protein and topped with ghost puke! Ewww!
adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers (of any color), diced
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 can reduced sodium dark kidney beans
- 1 can no salted added corn
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 8 ounce can no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño (finely chopped jarred sliced jalapeño)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté the onions, peppers, and jalepeño in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Add the sautéed onions and peppers to your crock-pot, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Let it simmer for at least 4 hours (up to 10 hours), stirring every hour.
- Serve with your favorite corn bread and topped with things like light sour cream, part-skim sharp cheddar cheese, green onions, hot sauce (I tend to make things not too spicy…you can always add spice, you can’t take it away!) and/or tortilla chips.
Spider Brownie Pie
- Your favorite brownie mix (I used Trader Joes Reduced Guilt Brownies.)
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9″ springform pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix up your brownies and pour into the prepared pan.
- Using either a sandwich bag with a small hole cut out of one end, or a pastry bag attached with a Wilton #7 round tip, pipe a bulls eye pattern on top of your brownies.
- Start with a dot in the middle and drawing circles around the dot.
- Take a toothpick and draw lines from the dot to the outside of the brownies.
- Using the remaining peanut butter, pipe over the lines you’ve drawn and for added thickness, pipe over the existing peanut butter lines.
- Bake according to your packages instructions (I baked mine for 25 minutes).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Virgin Bloody Punch
- 2 cups diet ginger ale
- 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice (I used POM.)
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 25 frozen blackberries
- Pre-fridgerate all of the liquid ingredients.
- Pour all of the ingredients into a punch bowl and give it a quick stir.
- Serve up it up!