We meet (meat, get it?) again! Oye, I’m too much.
This week Kraft unveiled the second Challenge Card. After we had so much fun last week stepping up to the first Challenge Card with our Warm Italian Chicken Salad, we’re back for round two. I loved all of your #KraftFreshTake tweets and I can’t wait to see what you shake up this week!
Also, be sure to come back soon when we reveal the giveaway! Now, for this week’s challenge:
Using challenge #1, I made these miniature meatball sub sandwiches, but used whole wheat rolls as our bread! The perfect blend of healthy and delightful, if you ask me.
Whether you’re hosting a party and need finger foods or appetizers or just want to have a fun mini meal for your family to munch on, these Mini Whole Wheat Meatball Subs are perfect. You can even make them decorative and stick a skewer into them like I did!
Any picky eater will love these subs and you’ll feel good about giving it to them. Simply pair them with a fresh salad and you can even top it with the dressing we made last week!
Kraft Fresh Take makes it easy to make. You’ll be ready to party in no time!
You can find the detailed recipe for this challenge at the bottom of this page.
Okay, let’s gets get cooking!
First, you’ll need to get out a large mixing bowl that you’ll make your meatballs in.
Take the simple Kraft Fresh Take bag and open up the divider.
Give it a little shake…
…and boom, you’ve got a perfect breadcrumb mix.
Add the entire bag of Kraft Fresh Take to your 99% lean ground turkey and egg.
Gently combine the ingredients. Feel free to get your hands in there and mix it up too!
Roll the meat into 1 inch balls. I use a small scoop to ensure I have the same sized meatballs every time.
Set the meatballs evenly on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.
Pop them in the oven and go wash your hands. Meet you back here!
Once the meatballs are out of the oven and your house smells delightful, it’s time to bake your bread.
I used store bought frozen whole wheat rolls that just needed to be baked in the oven for 12 minutes to warm and toast. However, feel free to make your own bread or buy fresh whole wheat rolls. Twelve minutes later and we’re ready to assemble! Slice the rolls in half using a bread knife. Scoop out most of the interior of the bread. Assemble with the marinara sauce, meatballs and cheese.
Voila! You’ve got Mini Whole Wheat Meatball Subs made with Kraft Fresh Take!
Mini Meatball Subs
- 1 pound ground 99% lean turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 package Kraft Fresh Take Italian Parmesan
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 16 whole wheat rolls (homemade, frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, gently stir together the turkey, egg and Kraft Fresh Take.
- Roll into 1″ balls and place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, warm the marinara sauce.
- Slice open the whole wheat rolls.
- Once the meatballs are done, spread some marinara on the inside of your rolls.
- Place a few meatballs on top and spoon some more marinara sauce on top.
- Place some mozzarella cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
- Keeping the rolls open faced, place in the oven to toast slightly.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite vegetable or salad!
Servings: 16 mini subs (in total the recipe made 32 meatballs)
Disclaimer: KRAFT Foods is providing the prizes for this program at no cost to me and has provided me with a gift of equal value for review. This program is not administered or sponsored by Kraft Foods or its affiliates, but solely by Blissfully Domestic.