I never would have dreamed that sour cream could make chocolate cake so amazingly moist. This sour cream chocolate cake is just that. The cake almost melts in your mouth, it’s so moist.
Coincidentally, this is the cake I always request on my birthday. You should too!
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
from Chocolate & Carrots
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a tube or bundt pan. Coat the pan with an even layer cocoa powder. Tap out the excess.
- Beat the butter and sugar in your stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Beat in the cocoa and vanilla.
- Stir together the sour cream and baking soda in a small cup and mix it in.
- Sift in the flour and salt, and beat on low speed.
- Beat the boiling water in on low speed (batter will be runny).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until your toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before flipping out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Better Than Sex Icing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the sugar, butter and evaporated milk.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Continue to stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Immediately, spread on the cake when the icing is slightly cooled.
Do you want a bite?
Don’t miss any of the Blissfully Domestic goodness! Sign up for our weekly newsletter.