Happy National Picnic Day!
Picnics are one of my favorite things this time of year. I love when it’s just me, my husband, my dog, and a lot of delicious food!
We’ll spend a few hours in the park just talking, eating, reading, and/or napping. Well, I guess until our little dog, Leland, starts to get on impatient and we’ll play fetch for a while…then it’s back to napping for the three of us.
Our Picnic Menu:
- pimento cheese sandwiches
- lemonade in jars
- fruit salad
adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) of reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 7 ounce jar of diced pimentos (pimentos and the juice)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 5-6 ounces light mayonnaise
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients, including the juice from the pimento jar.
- Stir until completely mixed and add more mayonnaise, if needed until it’s a spreadable consistency.
Lemonade in Jars
- Simply fill some jars with your favorite lemonade. You may even want to freeze them just a bit before you leave so that they’ll be ice cold when you’re on your picnic!
- An assortment of your favorite fruits:
- honeydew melon
- Cut up your fruit into bit size pieces.
- Fill container with the fruit.
- Store in the fridge until you’re ready for your picnic!
Now go on a picnic and enjoy these beautiful spring days!