We always grab a can or two of pumpkin purée for making pumpkin pies. But why not grab a couple more cans of this vitamin A– and fiber-packed ingredient to use in new and delicious savory ways? Here are some ideas:
1. Stir about 1 cup pumpkin purée into 3 cups marinara sauce. It will reduce the sodium and get the little ones to eat vegetables without knowing it!
2. For a new spin on mashed potatoes, add some pumpkin purée, a bit of fresh or ground ginger and/or ground nutmeg, and some sliced scallions.
3. Pumpkin and chili are a match made in heaven! Stir some purée into homemade or canned chili. The flavor combination is delicious, you’ll reduce the sodium, and it also extends the chili so it will feed more people.
4. Try adding some pumpkin to corn muffin mix. It will add beautiful color and moistness. Just stir 1/2 cup into batter made from an 8.5-oz box of corn muffin mix, then follow package directions for baking.
5. Hummus is delicious, but can be high in fat and calories. Stir some pumpkin purée into prepared hummus—it will reduce the fat and calories per serving and still be super-yummy.Photo: © Getty Images