We’re almost into September, which means ‘back to school’ season and packing school lunches. It’s a tedious and often thankless job, but here are a few easy tips to help make your packed lunches fun and exciting.
Keep it Colorful!
A ‘blah’ looking lunch is going to make for a ‘blah’ reaction from kiddo. It’s also not going to be very healthy. So, make sure to mix it up and include a colorful assortment of food in your child’s lunch box. Here are a few ideas:
- Red – apples, bell peppers, cherries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, raspberries
- Orange: carrots, oranges, bell peppers
- Yellow: bell peppers, corn, cherry tomatoes, rice, applesauce, bananas
- Green: apples, bell peppers, green beans, grapes, peas, lettuce
- Blue: blueberries
- Purple: Blackberries, cabbage, beets, plums
- White/Tan: cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, bread, rice, noodles
Add a Dipping Sauce!
I know my kids eat so much more when they can dip their food into something. I don’t know what’s so exciting about dipping, but it sure does work in our house. Here are a few ‘dips’ you could try sending:
- Peanut butter
- Ranch Dressing
Give it Some Shape!
Grab those cookie cutters and paring knives and put some silly shapes into their lunch box. No need to custom carve every item, but a few fun pieces are sure to bring a smile. Why not try these out: