Fall begs for pot roast, and a busy kitchen begs for the slow cooker. This Simple Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe will keep your family and your kitchen very happy as we slip into the brisk autumn evenings full of homework and after-school activities.
Try the delicious pot roast recipe as-is, or mix it up with by adding your family’s personal favorite veggies like green beans, mushrooms, celery or fresh garlic! Serve with some crusty french bread and simple gravy for a complete healthy and memorable family meal.
- 4 – 5 pounds beef oven roast (I used tip roast), cut into large chunks
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 & 1/2 pounds baby carrots
- 1 large yellow (sweet) onion, cut in large chunks
- 3 packets dry ranch dressing mix (1 ounce packets)
- 1 cup hot water
Simple Slow Cooker Pot Roast Directions:
- Mix one packet of ranch dressing mix with hot water. Place potatoes, carrots and onion at the bottom of your slow cooker and pour ranch dressing/water mix over vegetables.
- In a large bowl coat beef with remaining two packets of ranch dressing mix. Place beef over vegetables in crock pot and cover.
- Cook on high for one hour, then switch to low for approximately six hours, or until meat reaches desired tenderness.
Simple Slow Cooker Pot Roast Gravy:
- This method uses the ratio 2 Tablespoons of flour to 1 cup of liquid. You can make as much or little as you want with this ratio in mind.
- Pour a small amount (about 2 – 3 Tablespoons) of juice from your cooked roast into a sauce pan and add 2 Tablespoons of flour. Whisk together over medium heat for two to three minutes.
- Slowly pour in remaining one cup of roast juice and incorporate with a whisk. Bring to a low boil and then lower heat. Simmer until gravy reaches desired consistency then salt and pepper to taste.