or snickering doodles, as my 4 year old calls them
These are my favorite cookies to make with kids because they are easy, the ingredients are simple and they are definitely hands on.
* 1 C unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
* 2 C sugar
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
* 3 C flour
1. In a medium sized bowl, beat the butter for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add the sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar, beating until well mixed. Slowly beat in the egg and vanilla until well incorporated. Beat in the flour 1/2 C at a time.
2. When all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 375.
4. In a bowl, combine the *sprinkles* cinnamon and sugar. Take enough dough to shape into 1″ balls.
This is my kids’ favorite part, rolling the dough into balls and then covering them with *sprinkles*.
5. Roll the dough balls around in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a light, un-greased baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes.
6. The cookies will not appear done. Let cool for a minute on the cookie sheet and then move to a wire rack. This will yield a soft, delightfully chewy cookie. For a crisper cookie, cook about 12 minutes. If the cookies become golden, they will be very crisp.
I give two warnings.
1. They are highly addictive and may cause neighbors and friends to spontaneously appear on your doorstep.
2. Beware of sneaky monkeys.