I developed this recipe after looking for an easy one that fit the ingredients I had at home. I discovered, very simply, with some meat, beans and chili powder you have the foundation for great chili. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
Whatcha’ Got? Easy Crockpot Chili
- I lb ground meat – beef, turkey, pork, or chicken
- 1 onion chopped – yellow, white or red
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 cans of beans – pinto, red kidney or black beans. Drained and rinsed.
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup salsa
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add ground meat and cook until browned. Add chili powder and red pepper (if using) and mix well.
Put mixture in a crock pot. Add beans and salsa. Mix well. Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours.
Serve with your favorite chili toppings including cheese, sour cream, avocado, green onions.
For the chili in these photos, I used ground turkey, red beans and black beans. What are your favorite combinations?