Did you know that the month of September is Healthy Aging Month? I didn’t either, but what a great way to kick off some fall smoothie and juicing recipes that will have you aging gracefully and beautifully.
One of the first things that come to mind when I think of fall is pumpkin. Throw in some squash, sweet potatoes, yams, and cranberries and you’ve got yourself a taste bud party in the making. Other fruits, veggies and flavors that come to mind include kale, spinach, oranges, apples (which are all the rage in Upstate NY), vanilla bean, cinnamon, honey and nutmeg. Now that we have a palette to work with, let’s see about juicing our way to healthier bodies.
Photo by Oh She Glows
Sweet Potato Smoothie
When I came across the Sweet Potato Soup recipe, I darn near drooled all over my laptop keyboard. First, I love sweet potatoes and second, soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. Sweet pototatoes are rich in beta-carotene which strengthens eye sight and boosts the immune system. Because my children don’t typically like soup, I thought I’d try my hand at a smoothie recipe…it worked!
I prepared the sweet potatoes as indicated here except I did away with the pepper and cayenne. Here’s what I did next.
- add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of Almond or Coconut Milk
- Raw sugar or honey to taste (usually 3 tbsp)
- 2 tsps of fresh grated cinnamon
- 1 tsp of fresh grated nutmeg
- add 1 cup of sweet potato recipe
- add 1 small banana
- a few cubes of ice and blend
Viola!! You have a mouthwatering smoothie that your children and teens will love. For a little added kick, try adding a splash or two of your favorite spirits. I like adding the Moscato Vodka by ExClusiv–it’s amazing!!
Kale Pineapple Dream Smoothie
I first came across this recipe by the lovely Renee Ross. Because I have several food allergies, I altered it just a bit and the results were amazing.
- 1 can of pineapples ( or 1 cup fresh)
- 1 cup of coconut, almond or hazelnut milk (soy, rice or oat milk will work as well)
- 2 small bananas cut into chunks
- 2 cups of fresh kale
- 1/2 cup of juice of your choice: mango or pineapple are great
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp non-alcoholic Irish Creme
- 3-4 cubes of ice and blend
Talk about heaven in your mouth! Because I prefer more “runny” or liquid like smoothies, I add more almond milk and juice to break up the thickness of the bananas. Kale is rich in antioxidants, vitamans and omega 3. It’s a great food for those of us allergic to seafood or fish.
Photo by My Juice Cleanse
Pumpkin Spice Juice Recipe
I used the recipe listed at My Juice Cleanse and tried it once and thought to myself I wonder if I did this would it work just as well? Don’t you just love putting your own twist on something? Here’s what I did.
- Instead of ginger I opted for vanilla bean coconut milk (I steeped vanilla beans in boiling coconut milk, strained and let cool)
- In place of the apple, I opted for 1 sweet pear or 1 ripe soursop (guanabana)
- I poured all the juices into a blender, added 3-4 tbsp of vanilla bean coconut milk, added 1/4 cup of banana puree, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Add honey to taste and serve ice cold with a dollop of whip cream and a sprinkle of fresh coconut flakes
Well, there you have it! Great smoothie and juicer recipes that will definitely melt in your mouth and have you aging beautifully and gracefully. They also taste great with caramel apple dumplings and sweet potato bread. Yum!
Which of these delish recipes will you try?