It’s almost that time of year…Back-to-School time! New school supplies, new clothes and a new grade are exciting and fun for children and parents. The first day of school is one that almost always gets captured on film (ahem, I should now say memory card!) and will be viewed over and over again as your children grow. Are you looking for a few new ideas this year instead of the standard picture-in-front-of-the-bus? Here are a few creative ideas to inspire you and your kids to make this years pictures fun and memorable!
1) I love this new spin on the classic first day of school photo in front of the school bus from The Crafting Chicks – take a step back and capture Dad (or Mom) walking their child to the school bus. It’s an exciting day for kids and parents and it’s fun to get them both in the shot, without the standard pose!
2) Are your kids too young to enter school but are going back to/starting Nursery School, Mothers Day Out or some other form of “school” this fall? Don’t forget to capture those moments too! I love this idea by August Tea Photography of having your baby surrounded by and sitting on his/her favorite books.
3) If your child’s favorite part of Back-to-School is getting to pick out and wear new clothes (like mine was!) then this is the perfect photo shoot for you! Inspired by i heart faces, have your child dress up in their First Day of School outfit before the first day and have a fashion photo shoot! It will excite and energize them for that first day. Don’t forget to capture all the little details of their outfit like shoes, headband and jewelry.
4) Want to watch your baby grow up in front of your very eyes? This beautiful photo by She’s Making Cards is a real winner. Each year on the first day of school take a photo of your child in the same spot (in front of your door, by the mailbox, anywhere!) and have them hold a picture of last year’s first day of school. After several years you’ll be able to see how much they have grown all in the same image. Warning – you might want to get the tissues out for this one!
5) Get some chalk out and get creative! There are many ways to get creative about your kid(s) back to school photos and these are two of my favorites. If you have a big driveway or open space to write out the grade that you child is going into then you’ll love this idea from Blue Cricket Design. As your child gets older have them help write and decorate their grade.
If you are low on space here is another great idea from Sugar Bee Crafts – a DIY chalkboard! Use this to write your child’s grade, year and/or teachers’ name and have your child pose with the sign. The great thing is you can use this chalkboard year after year for all those first days of school, which would make a great series to put together when you child graduates.
DIY Back-to-School Photo Shoot Tips:
– If you know your mornings are rushed and low on time, don’t be afraid to do a photo shoot a day or two ahead of time. That way you and the kids will be relaxed and you’ll have enough time to get all the photos you want.
– Try to plan as much ahead of time as possible: outfit, location, props (such as picture frame, chalkboard, etc). The more you have prepared the less stressful it will be for you and the kids.
– Don’t forget to get a photo with you in it as well! So many times we are so busy taking the photos that we don’t get in them ourselves. Have your spouse, another parent or even a teacher snap a quick picture of you and your child – you won’t regret it!
– Have fun with it! As I tell all of my clients, sometimes the best photos are the ones that aren’t planned. Have fun with your kids and don’t push them past their limit. If they aren’t up for a photo shoot try for a different time/day.