One of the best parts about celebrating Thanksgiving is that you can use the time to actually show kids how to be thankful for the bounty that the Earth offers us by doing fun crafts that can also do double duty as gifts and décor for a green and eco-friendly Thanksgiving celebration.
Here are some fun and easy DIY Thanksgiving crafts that kids of all ages can do and enjoy:
Create a Thanksgiving or Gratitude Box
Bring the feeling of thankfulness alive by making a simple yet beautiful Thanksgiving box.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Empty cereal box or similar cardboard carton
- Sheet of solid colored or patterned paper to cover the cereal box
- Scrapbooking supplies: magazines pictures, old photos, greeting cards
- Glitter and stickers
And then, let’s make it:
1. Glue the open ends of the cereal container shut.
2. Cut a slit in the top of the box.
3. Cover the box with solid-colored or patterned paper.
4. Let the kids decorate it with photos, pictures or simply an image of whatever they’re thankful for. Add embellishments with stickers and glitter.
Hand out small notes to everyone and let them write down whatever they’re thankful for. Pass the box before you sit down at the table and then, read the notes after dinner. A lovely way to teach kids the meaning of Thanksgiving while having fun too. How cool is that?!
Make Personalized Placemats for Thanksgiving Dinner
Add a dash of personalization and creativity by getting the kids together and making fun placemats for your Thanksgiving Dinner. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- Thick card paper 11”x17”, one for each member at the Thanksgiving Table
- Color copies of family photos. Include at least one of each member of the family.
- Thanksgiving notes written by the kids or by you, on their behalf.
- Assorted embellishments such as, glitter, stickers, cutouts, etc.
1. Glue the photos, collage style on to each placemat.
2. Glue a personalized Thanksgiving note somewhere in the middle or the corner of the collage.
3. Add assorted embellishments as each kid sees fit. Mine loves stickers and glitter so we get a lot of that on each placemat.
4. Allow to dry.
5. Once dry, head to the copy store and have them laminated. Voila, easy-peasy personalized photo placemats for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Fall Leaf Coasters
Similar to the personalized placemats, you can make beautiful coasters using nothing more than leaves and cardstock. Simply, collect some colorful Fall leaves on your next Nature walk and glue them on thick cardstock cut to the size of a traditional coaster. Laminate and you’re done!
What crafts will you be making for a green and eco-friendly Thanksgiving?
Photo Credit: Steven Depolo